Friday, January 2, 2009

New Years

Well to put it best last year ended on a bad note. KK was as brave as she could be but those tests can be painful. The ultrasound was fine. It was cute when they started it she looked at the monitor and said "Look! There's my baby brother!" I had to laugh and explain that was her belly! (Daddy's girlfriend is expecting a baby boy) Then it was off to the VCUG. We had to stop the test about a half hour into it because her kidney was holding the dye. *NOT a good sign* I took KK to the big girl potty and finally convinced her to use it. She did and we snapped the last films. We were then given her discharge instructions and told to wait in the waiting room.

This was a bit different than before because every other time it was call the doctor in a few days and they will have the results. Turns out we needed them right then. Of course we spent forever in the waiting room because I do believe doctors think it's fun to make people sit and worry for hours on how serious it is.

Finally the radiologist came and explained that she had severe reflux in her right kidney and needed to go back on antibiotics immediately. Any infection could shut the kidney down. She does have scaring in it as well which is proof that the antibiotics she's been on have not been working! Yet she's back on the same ones. This is so aggravating to me! It's exactly why we recently switched doctors. Until a month or so ago, as I previously posted, we believed that one kidney was smaller than the other and just didn't develop. We were wrong! The larger kidney is the one that has the reflux in it.

What I did go find out on my own is that this is a genetic disease or condition. Most kids out grow it between 6 or 8 years of age. One out of one hundred kids are born with it. Antibiotics are the treatment to prevent infection and damage to the kidney and repeating the tests to keep an eye on it is normal. There are a couple other tests that can be (and now will be) done.

IF she is a grade V than we are facing surgery but we have to get that information from the Urologist!

Let me tell you there was no worse feeling in the world than waiting all alone with her and doing my best to stay strong and not let her see Mommy cry. I know it could be worse and that she's a tough girl. It's just that looking at her you'd never be able to tell something is so wrong inside her. The pain she has to go through each time we test is enough to break any parent.

As I find out more you can bet I'll keep you updated. Right now I'm scared and staying strong but have not cried as of yet!

No comments: